5 Things You Didn’t Know You Could Do With Chia
When I mention chia seeds to the non savvy consumer, their first reaction is, “wait, like the chia pet?” Yes ladies and gents - EXACTLY like the chia pet. What you don’t know though is that chia seeds have been alive and kicking since far, far before the 90s and they’re not going anywhere anytime soon.
They are naturally gluten and grain free, have more than a glass of milk’s worth of calcium, oodles of Omega-3s (more than salmon), and more antioxidants than, wait for it, blueberries. Sounds pretty amazing right? I’d like to introduce you all to the world’s next (even though it’s been around for hundreds of years) superfood.
Now they’re being used for a bunch of things these days but some items on that laundry list include: aiding nutritional and medicinal healing, aiding regularity, increasing endurance for athletes, suppressing your appetite, for weight loss, and leveling blood sugar.
Now that you know about these chia nutritional benefits, you want to know what to do with them eh? Allow me to enlighten you.
1. Make your soup thicker by adding a few tablespoons of chia seeds instead of cornstarch or another thickener.
2. To thicken meatballs - instead of using bread crumbs - just add a few tablespoons and you’ll be good to go!. Make your own sprouts- you know when you were a kid and you had to grow plants? Kick it old school and do it again. Simple pour some water over your seeds and in a few days you’ll have home grown sprouts for your salads and sandwiches.
3. Make your own sprouts- you know when you were a kid and you had to grow plants? Kick it old school and do it again. Simple pour some water over your seeds and in a few days you’ll have home grown sprouts for your salads and sandwiches.
4. Start your day right with a few spoonfuls washed down with some coffee - if you’re hard core. Otherwise just add them to smoothies, yogurt,whole grain toast with avocado, you name it. You’ll notice the energy for hours.
5. During your workout, pack one chia surge gel, the first whole seed chia gel to market
and notice 2 hours of sustained energy. You can buy our chia seed gel at any of our retailers, including REI or on the Vitalyte website.
Want to know more about Chia gel and chia seed concoctions? Stay tuned. There’s plenty more where this came from.