I don’t know about you, but after dragging myself to spin class or forcing myself to run as the sun comes up Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, I am always pooped come Thursday and Friday! I love working out in the morning and it is always worth it to know that I don’t have my workout looming ahead of me all day at work, but I start to lose my momentum toward the end of the week. Here are some tips for keeping your energy up throughout the week:
· Get moving! This is a given, but the more active you are, the more energy you will have. If you sit at a desk all day like I do, try to take frequent breaks to walk around and boost your circulation. Also, make sure to sit up straight to increase your oxygen intake.
· This shouldn’t come as a surprise, but regular workouts help keep energy high.
· Dehydration is an instant energy-zapper and gives this Vita Girl an instant headache.
· Try something new! New experiences give you a rush of adrenaline. Have you always wanted to try kayaking? Rent one and hit the water. I usually spin and run but when I want to mix things up I try a yoga or Pilates class.
· Speaking of yoga, a few deep breaths can give you a boost when you’re feeling zapped and need a pick me up.
· Make sure your blood-sugar never dips too low. I eat small meals throughout the day and always keep Vitalyte Sticks in my bag to jazz up water when I am short on time.
· Spend time outdoors! There’s a reason you feel relaxed when at the beach or in the woods, spending time outside lowers blood pressure and reduces stress hormones.
The Detox Diet: Friend or Foe?
Memorial Weekend is coming up, and I don’t know about you, but after three day weekends I am usually in serious need of some detox! After an overly-indulgent weekend, I always make sure to get back on track with my workouts and healthy eating plan. Many of my friends, however, take it one step further by adopting a detox diet. If you are thinking of doing the same you might want to continue reading.
I have had friends shed pounds from liquid detox programs only to gain the weight right back again, and some experts say that many of these diets can even be harmful to your health. Most detox diets combine minimal calories and nutrients with supposedly fat-melting ingredients like vinegar or cayenne pepper, but there is actually little science backing up the claim that a liquid diet like this will rid your body of so-called toxins.
Many commercial detox diets aren’t regulated by the FDA and can even pose harm, especially if they feature diuretics that flush your body of nutrients that you need. Of course, nutrients are lost during exercise (you sweat them out), but that’s what electrolyte replacement drinks are for! The reason people lose weight so quickly when following a detox diet is that they are losing water weight, but that only lasts so long.
What’s my take as Vita Girl? Recover from a holiday weekend hangover with a longer workout than normal and some healthy—but not restrictive—eating.
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo, Minus the Hangover
Vita Girl here, just stopping by to wish you a happy Cinco de Mayo! I know I’ll be in indulging in a margarita (or two!) in honor of the holiday, but I don’t want to be paying for it tomorrow and I’m guessing you don’t either. Vitalyte can help.
First off, if you are choosing a margarita as your Cinco de Mayo drink of choice, pick a classic margarita on the rocks instead of a frozen margarita. You’ll save hundreds of calories and cut way back on sugar without sacrificing taste. If you’re going for beer, rest easy: most Mexican beers clock in at around 150 calories per 12-ounce bottle. You can always opt for a light option to slash calories even further.
Even if you do follow my suggestions for the best Cinco de Mayo libations, you might still wake up with a hangover, which is where Vitalyte comes in. Drink some of the electrolyte replacement drink tonight and first thing when you wake up tomorrow. Alcohol acts as a diuretic—causing dehydration—but also dehydrates the cells of the body and the neurons of the central nervous system, which is why you wake up with a headache, dry mouth and no appetite.
So down some Vitalyte before you head out for chips, salsa and margaritas, have one before you go to sleep or in the morning (or all three!) and prevent a hangover this Cinco de Mayo and all summer long. Salud!
Vitalyte and Hangovers
I got introduced to Vitalyte a few years ago when I first started designing them a website. I was lucky enough to bring home a box of free product when I started working with them and have to tell you I have not had a traditional hangover since… Now I’ve really gone out and killed some brain cells a few nights and somehow remained coherent enough to mix a glass of Vitalyte before bed… I’ll be straight up with you, while I still feel a little run down the next morning, I have no headache, and no “I want to die” feeling. This stuff really works, I’ve got all my friends hooked on it. I promise this will be the last shameless plug on here, but if I can save a few of you a bed riddin day… all the better.
Looking forward to sharing some interesting things about art, design, music and all the other things that keep me moving. Thanks for stopping by!
PS. Please forgive my horrible grammar, excessive use of ellipsis and bad spelling, now and in the future…