Vitalyte Sports Nutrition Blog
In less than a week, the La Jolla Cove will be the scene for an event expected to raise over one million dollars. It’s not a rock concert-though celebrities will surely be present. It’s not a “find a cure” event - even though it is about finding another way. And it’s not a high priced art auction where the prize goes to the highest bidder - even though everyone will come away holding a better perspective.On October 21st, the 19th Annual San Diego Triathlon Challenge will once again encourage you to find ways to give. Sponsors, celebrities, professional athletes, the world’s finest challenged athletes and spectators alike will come together at the shores of the Pacific Ocean in La Jolla, CA to not only raise money to help provide special prosthetics and training opportunities for challenged athletes, but to really show how the gift of sport can change lives.As you witness the hundreds of athletes competing, it might be a good time to ask yourself, “How can I give?” Our answer: the options are endless. Sponsors like us provide product to fuel the athletes through the swim, bike and run at this annual event. Volunteers, who arrive at the Cove well before the sun, give of their time. The competitors in the event have spent hundreds of hours training and raising awareness about The Challenged Athletes Foundation.If you decide to witness this potentially life changing event, be prepared. Be prepared to ask yourself a lot of questions about how you can get involved. Be ready to want to know more about this fantastic organization. And be in the mindset to be inspired.In the mean time, find out how your purchase of Vitalyte Sports Nutrition products directly benefits the Challenged Athletes Foundation by going to www.vitalyte.com. You can also visit our preferred CAF retailers, The Triathlete Store and The Running Center for more information. And of course, visit www.challengedathletes.org to read more about the organization and ways to become involved.
At Vitalyte, we believe in complete nutrition for your mind, body and spirit. While we do our best to encourage fulfillment of the mind and spirit, the wellbeing of your body is truly our mission. Our entire product line caters to what we like to call the 'modern athlete'. We consider that anyone engaging in physical activity and living a healthy lifestyle - ranging from a pro football player or marathon runner, to a busy parent, yogi, or an extreme hiker.
We want everyone to bring their best game to whatever it is they do best. As a result of this mission, we strive to fuel your body before, during and even after a workout, thereby giving you what you need to preform at your best and annihilate competition in every way, shape and form.
This 4 step process includes:
1. Pre: a pre workout drink called Tri Phase Endurance, designed to make you feel like a million bucks during your workout.
2. During: an electrolyte replacement beverage to replenish the vital balance in your system that depletes during physical activity
3. During: the first whole seed chia (yes like the pet) gel to market designed to keep you fueled and going strong through endurance training.
4. After: a complete recovery beverage intended to buffer lactic acid, thereby helping your muscles recover faster, preventing soreness and prepping you to do it all over again... tomorrow.
The icing on the metaphorical cake is that all of our products are all natural, don't contain caffeine, won't upset your stomach, and are scientifically designed to do their job on a cellular level. We challenge you to try the Ultimate Athlete Challenge with the Ultimate Athlete Package. Try it to see, feel and live the difference.
By Jeff Foy - Brand Ambassador
I was introduced to Vitalyte a couple months ago when my fire department decided to make a switch from our old electrolyte replacement to a healthier option and Vitalyte fit that need. I was using the single serve sticks and definitely seeing results, without all the side effects and crashes other products offer. I hadn’t done any research as to how it all worked - I just knew I felt better.
I finally decided I wanted to learn more and it was just in time. The following weekend headed out to the Desert to attend a rescue class on the river in 110+ degree weather. Lucky me. I went to a local Vitalyte retailer and stocked up on Chia Surge, Tri-Phase and Complete Recovery. The class went from first thing in the morning until after midnight the first day and all day the second. I’m convinced that my ability to keep from keeling over directly correlates with my use of Vitalyte.
You can guess that, as a firefighter, we participate in pretty intense physical training on a regular basis. We spend between 4-8 hours a day of training. Just doing our job alone is draining, but add all the protective gear in addition to the heat, and you can infer the importance of staying on top of our electrolyte balance. My crew and I go through 1-3 stick packs per day, per person, depending on the intensity of the climate. From climbing a 107-foot ladder to training for wildfires, stick packs and chia surge have become the staples to keep us going.
As for our fitness at work, it can last up to 2 hours; lifting weights, followed by either a few mile run or putting our bikes on stationary trainers and riding for 30-60 min. We follow all that up with circuit training using body weight exercises, kettle bells, tractor tires and sledge hammers. I think I need a chia surge just thinking about doing all that. I like to take Tri-Phase about 30 min before we start, I have a water bottle or 2 filled with a stick packs (lately grape or lemonade) that I drink throughout the workout, and lastly I usually have a chia surge in the middle of the cardio portion of our training. Of course post training I include complete recovery.
I have noticed a significant difference in my training at work and at play and I thank Vitalyte for the positive change.
Stay tuned for part 2
By Milena Glusac
On October 13th, riders will gather in San Francisco, ready to start the seven day bike ride to San Diego. Along the way, cyclists will ride nearly ninety miles per day and enjoy the breathtaking scenery the California coast line has to offer. Most importantly though, they will raise nearly one million dollars to benefit the Challenged Athletes Foundation (CAF).
To say the journey is difficult, is an understatement. The rewards though, more than outweigh the sweat and muscle strain. CAF is a non-profit organization that raises money to support athletes with physical disabilities. These funds are used to purchase cutting edge prosthetics, send athletes to training camps or provide coaching to challenged athletes.
The ride, appropriately named “The Million Dollar Challenge,” finishes on October 19th at the La Jolla Cove in La Jolla, CA and preempts the San Diego Triathlon Challenge which is the sister fund-raising event to the Million Dollar Challenge. Vitalyte will help hydrate athletes along the way at both events because we support all athletes in their pursuit of athletic greatness.
To find out the various ways you can help support CAF, please visit www.challengedathletes.org. Also, to find out how your purchase of Vitalyte Sports Nutrition products helps to benefit those challenged athletes reaching for their dreams, go to www.vitalyte.com.
If you head down to the La Jolla Cove the third weekend in October, you'll witness an athletic event that will change your life. Simply watch, listen, and learn.
Experience the start of the swim at La Jolla Shores beach, set against a Pacific backdrop on a chilly fall morning. A few hundred athletes will stand at the edge of the ocean while others wait patiently in wheel chairs. Some have legs. Some don’t. Some have arms. Some don’t. All have determination, courage and the will to complete the task at hand. This is what The Challenged Athletes Foundation (CAF) is all about.
The passion and drive to make lives better for athletes who have been challenged by life’s circumstances is unparalleled in these talented warriors. If you aren't already familiar, CAF raises money for challenged athletes who still need to be in the game, but may not be able to afford the expensive prosthetics that allow them to run, jump and swim. Beyond that, CAF provides a support system and athletic arena for military men and women who have returned from serving our country and are in need of rehabilitation.
It was important to me that the company I work for, Vitalyte, became a supporter of CAF. Everyone deserves to be able to move with freedom. We all know that children who participate in sports have higher self esteems than those children who do not. At Vitalyte, we proudly support an active, healthy lifestyle - it is our mission to inspire this mantra as everyone deserves it. When we decided to donate a portion of our proceeds to the Challenged Athletes Foundation, I knew that we were directly contributing to a life-changing experience for many athletes. I knew that we were helping the amazing people at CAF change lives “one athlete at a time,” as they say.
One athlete can now complete a triathlon as a result of the proper fitting prosthetic. One child who, although his parents did not have insurance, can now play during recess with his friends. One war veteran can now compete in a 10k race and cross the finish line with pride. CAF helps one athlete at at time to be able to return to the starting line and playing field. In essence, we want to help CAF bring back the sport of life.
So if you have time, come to the La Jolla Cove on October 21st. Watch what sports can do. Watch what giving can do. Watch what competition is really about and help change a life “one athlete at a time.”
During the time leading up to the event, Vitalyte will proudly donate $1 for EVERY jar purchased so please, hydrate, inspire, and support CAF. SHOP NOW
Chia seeds have been cultivated for centuries. The Maya and Aztec civilizations knew of their benefits more than 5,000 years ago, and today, medical professionals and nutritionists are gaining a better understanding of the specific benefits of chia seeds. If you have never tried chia seeds for yourself, here are just some of the great things you may be missing out on:
- Amazing nutrition. Chia seeds are loaded with fiber, calcium, protein, antioxidants, and even Omega-3 fatty acids. Many people struggle to obtain the Omega-3s that they need on a daily basis, because the nutrient is most commonly found in fish. As far as fiber is concerned, just one serving of chia contains 41 percent of your daily recommendation!
- Peak performance. Chia seeds will provide you with a natural, much-needed energy boost, and can also improve your athletic performance. They also work for appetite control, which means that you can eat less and still feel satisfied.
- Low cost. Chia seeds are extremely inexpensive, especially when compared to other commercialized superfoods that promise the same benefits (and don't always deliver). A single ounce of chia packs enough of a punch to get you through the entire day.
- Versatility. There are numerous ways to enjoy chia seeds. Add them to liquids, grind them into a gel, sprinkle them over your favorite foods or eat them by themselves. It's entirely up to you.
- Great taste. Chia seeds are not only good for you. They taste delicious! And you can use them in baked goods, sprinkle them over your oatmeal or yogurt, or add them to your favorite smoothie. Chia gel drinks, such as Chia Surge, are also extremely delicious, and offer all of the amazing benefits of chia.
If you have yet to experience the wonders of chia, try it for yourself. As you can see, the benefits of chia seeds are numerous, and you can start reaping the rewards right now. Just remember, chia seeds—like all superfoods—work best as part of a balanced diet, and not as a substitute for healthy eating. So make sure to get plenty of other veggies, fruits and lean protein.
Chia energy gel has become extremely popular in recent years, but it's not a new phenomenon. In fact, civilizations have been harnessing the power of chia energy gel for centuries. The Aztec and Mayan civilizations consumed chia as a staple food, and the word “Chia” even comes from the Mayan language, and means “Strength.”
Here are just some of the benefits that you can enjoy from consuming chia energy gel:
- Increased energy. Well that one seems obvious from the name, but it's true. Are you tired of feeling lethargic in the middle of the day? Instead of turning to drugs like caffeine, consider taking advantage of the natural energy-boosting properties of chia.
- Improved performance. Chia was used by Aztec warriors in battle more than 5,000 years ago, because they understood what it could do for their peak performance. If you plan to run the marathon, work out at the gym or just play basketball at your local park, chia energy gel can give you the natural boost you need.
- Improved metabolism. Chia gel is known to cause a reaction in the stomach, dramatically slowing the conversion of carbohydrates into sugar.
- Electrolyte balance. Electrolytes are essential to regulating myocardial and neurological function, oxygen delivery, fluid balance and more. If you have a water-electrolyte imbalance, it can have serious health ramifications. Chia energy gel is extremely useful for balancing your electrolytes.
- Appetite control. Chia energy gel is low in calories, but can keep you feeling satisfied for hours. Though not a weight loss supplement in itself, it can make a great hunger-reducing supplement for people trying to lose weight.
- Omega-3s. Omega-3 fatty acids are essential for the body, but most of us aren't getting nearly enough of them. Unless you can afford to eat nutritious fish every day, you may be deficient as well. Chia energy gel is filled with Omega-3s.
- Antioxidants. Chia is one of the most antioxidant-rich superfoods known to man, and antioxidants fight cancer. Consume chia energy gel every day to maintain your own health and well being.
Now that you understand some of the key benefits of chia energy gel, try it for yourself. Products like Chia Surge are not only delicious, but they can get you through the day with all the nutrients that nature intended.
By Milena GlusacSaturday afternoon around 4:20pm I heard the clip cop of cycling shoes making their way up my stone steps. The knock on the door followed and I knew automatically that Thoryn had arrived safely from his ride from Los Angeles.I opened the door and was greeted by Thoryn who is holding an empty Chia Surge Endurance Gel wrapper. He was grinning from ear to ear as he pointed to his GPS watch that read, “99.92”- the exact miles he rode from Long Beach to Cardiff.“Come in you crazy,” I told him, “Let’s get you some Vitalyte. I want to hear all about the ride!”Thoryn gave me the low down. “It was pretty easy, I just took the 101 highway the whole way. It was nice and overcast. The only major hiccup was that my bike seat fell off with ten miles to go.” The trials and tribulations of Ironman training.His race was a little less than four weeks away. Both Thoryn and his mom -also known as Lavamom because of all of her Ironman Hawaii finishes- are going to race the Wales Ironman. After the race, Thoryn will spend a few weeks in London for the UK premier of his band’s (Rage Area) video. The band’s album entitled “Venice Dubtronica” will also be making it’s UK premier.I pointed Thoryn to the bathroom so he could shower. Jill my roommate had come into the room by this point and was laughing at the scene: a carbon fiber triathlon bike, a helmet, bike shoes, and a few empty Chia Surge wrappers. Essentially, my living room had become the triathlete graveyard.As Thoryn re entered the room, he could tell Jill was laughing at the casualties. “That’s nothing,” he said, “Tomorrow I have a twenty mile run.”My friend grabbed his keys, iPhone, and wallet and we ran out the door so he wouldn't miss the train.I guess given that I have friends who race Ironman triathlons, I should never be surprised when they call to tell me that they're going to cycle to my house -and they arrive six hours later. That’s what I love about being in the endurance community: the sport brings friends together and makes life fun, by way of bikes, trains, and chia seeds.
By Eric Cito Silberman
It's 105F (40.5C) in Sacramento CA at the Gold River Racquet Club. I am playing the quarterfinals of the Little Mo West Regionals Tennis Tournament. This tournament includes players that qualified from Southern and Northern California, Southwest, Pacific-North, and Hawaii.
The top 4 players from this tournament qualify for the Little Mo Nationals on October 2012 to be held in Texas. Therefore, if I lose this match I am out. The travel from San Diego, CA to Sacramento includes air tickets, hotel, rental car, food, tournament registration, etc. My parents always tell me to focus on performance vs. winning, but I know this can’t be cheap. So the pressure is on if I think about it or not.
The first set alone was 2 hours long. This is the longest match I have played so far on my 3 years of tennis experience. As a 10 years old player, I don’t get to play matches that long. Most of the matches I have played at this point were 2 hours long max, and not under 105F and high humidity. At the end, I held my ground and won the match. I am qualified for the Little Mo Nationals!!
For this match alone, I drank 4 litters (135 Oz) of water with my favorite sport drink Vitalyte Orange. I like the Orange vs. other flavors. Once and a while we switch to Lemon so I can really feel and appreciate the Orange taste better when we go back to it. I know that the electrolytes I got from Vitalyte helped me on this battle, and the good taste just makes it easier to drink.
I am sure this is the first of many more long tennis matches to come as I move to play 12s in Southern California, Nationally, and in junior international tournaments to come.
Thanks so much and I'm proud to be a Vitalyte Brand Ambassador!
I’m a busy woman myself. I work full-time, manage to train for endurance events, maintain my social schedule and time with my family. At the end of the day, how does a busy girl stay sane? Besides reaching for your favorite “skinny” version of the 5 o’clock cocktail, I have my top three ways to keep you calm and cool while still looking great in the latest edition of your Lululemon pants.
Good luck with your balancing all that you have on your plate. I guarantee if you take off the french fries and substitute them with some chia seeds, you will feel a whole lot better. Click Here to buy our Chia Surge endurance gel.
- Give yourself 30 each day-That can be thirty minutes dedicated to a walk, your favorite book or your favorite Starbucks blend. Spending that time with yourself is like telling the world, “Hey I value myself!” You get time to get back to that space where there is nothing but you and your version of quiet. I do this when I run or go to the gym. I grab my Chia Surge gel, my Vitalyte and my headphones and I’m out the door. No Mac laptop can catch me, I leave all conference calls in the dust and well, that cute boy that my mom insists I date and give a chance because he “comes from such a good family” gets a busy signal when he calls.
- Margin-I read the book Stress Less by Dr. Don Colbert. In the book, Dr. Colbert says that his most stressed and sick clients were those that were the busiest and did not leave enough “margin” in their lives. By that he meant time in-between events. Here at Vitalyte Sports Nutrition, we support an active, healthy lifestyle. Healthy includes leaving room to recover from strenuous events. Tennis players take a 90 second break in between odd games. Football has time-outs and basketball is famous for their half-times. So take time outs through out your life, your training and your day. Not only will little breaks insure that you don’t have to take a major sabbatical to recharge your batteries properly, but they also allow you time to shift your focus to other aspects of your life that might need attention. So go take that vacation, that 20 minute nap or that weekend off.
- Chose healthy-We are constantly presented with choices. Usually those choices include things that add to our health or things that detract from our health. Learning to identify those things that don’t make us feel good is vital to being able to living a healthy lifestyle. At Vitalyte, we have chosen to create products free from artificial sweeteners and preservatives. We made a choice for health. By choosing products such as Chia Surge Endurance Gel and the new Chia Essentials Bar, you are adding to your health. So next time you go to the store, pick whole grains, organic produce and anti-biotic free meats. Add to your health and realize that you do have a choice.